Hope you all are having a good week. One thing we are going to try (note: TRY) is to send you regularly a summary of the topics covered at each puppy meeting. This way, if you’ve missed a meeting you will have something to reference and to ask questions from. There are many changes occurring rapidly with R+ so please ask for clarification if needed.
- Rebecca Marsh from PAHS 2 PAWS (Palo Alto Humane Society) presented information about opportunities to visit and educate children in their classrooms about our work with Guide Dogs. For more information, contact Rebecca at 650-424-1901 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (Note: GDB has information on their website for how to join their speakers bureau — contact Linda or Robin for more information.)
- Everyone should be aware that the new R+ protocols are on the GDB website (on the Puppy Raiser Forms Page, see R+ Puppy Raising). The protocols include those that pertain to all puppies (loose-leash walking, calm behavior) as well as those for the baby puppies. We should all review the “Puppy Raising Final Behavior Goals”; we will review a few of these goals at each meeting. This week we reviewed:
- Audible markers (“nice”)
- Food reward acceptance
- Enjoyment of secondary reinforcement (puppy enjoys physical touch and responds to verbal praise)
- Puppy handling:
- Puppies need to experience calm handling/touch daily
- Puppies need experience being handled by others (puppies were traded to others in the group)
- A puppy who is barking or whining should not be approached for calm handling — touch will reinforce the vocal behavior. Ignore your puppy for 30 seconds – 2 minutes AFTER the puppy is quiet to acknowledge/reward. If you are touching your puppy when it begins to bark or whine, your hands should stop moving (remove the reward) and wait for calm behavior before resuming. Remember, you want the puppy to understand that barking/whining does not get attention. Please talk with a leader if your puppy is barking/whining and does not stop the behavior when ignored as described here.
- Loose leash walking, sit/down/stand practice
- Practiced inside and outside, in and out of doors, left and right turns
- Our next meeting is October 26th. We will have our annual Halloween party! Watch for the email about the change in meeting location — we will be at Addison School in Palo Alto.
Please let us know if you have any questions or want more information from the summary provided!
Mardie, Linda, Lester
Robin and Warren